Isolation Renovations

With plenty of time on my hands during lockdown I managed to carry out a few essential repairs and make some much needed changes to Annie's layout.

First on the list was to repair the leak in her hatch which had kept it permanently taped shut for 18 months waiting for a good time to replace the old broken parts.I had the replacement parts waiting for the right time and now was that time.  It took Shane and I, 3 days to remove the hatch, clean up the louvres, paint them inside and out, replace the broken parts and put her back together.  For the first time I was happy to take a photo of her interior with the hatch visible.

Second project was to remove her dinette table and return this end to dual seating with a folding indoor/outdoor table. I still needed the sliding mechanism attached to the wall to affix the table should it be needed when we attend Vintage Shows. To cover it over I made a slimline shelf that hooks onto the same catches, just wide enough for a cup and my retro radio which I rescued from Shane's work trailer covered in paint. A screwdriver, nail poish remover, steel wool and elbow grease returned it to its original glory, never to leave the caravan again.

Third in line was to make a cover for her gas cooktop. I prefer not to use gas unless off the grid. This project was easy and took no time at all.  It has freed up so much bench space.  I just love it.

Four on the floor - The original vinyl flooring was purchased off a roll from the hardware store and had a matte finish.  Almost immediately I noticed small indentations made by small stones and twigs from the campgrounds and parks attaching themelves to the soles of shoes and walked inside. There were a few pinkish stains appearing in geometric fashion that could not be removed by any cleaners I had in the cupboard. As I was flat on my back underneath the drawbar sanding off the surface rust I noticed the chassis formation matched up with the pink lines.The surface rust when wet was seeping through the single layer of plywood floor and through onto the vinyl which wasnt glued down. It was time for new flooring.  I went back to the hardware store and purchased some heavier duty checked adhesive floor tiles with a pitted shiny surface. It was quite therapeutic covering over the old flooring and it also tested my gymnastic ability squeezing this not so tiny frame underneath the bed reaching to the furthest end of the van. Mission accomplished :)

I also made both Eugenie and Annie cute little skirts to cover over the "stuff" that seems to gather under the caravan - you know the broom, the dogs bed, the folding campfire chairs, firewood, water containers - the list goes on . . . . .

Painting - This was a big job. I call it a job rather than a project because it wasn't fun but the end result was great.  Her drawbar had a lot of surface rust that needed to be sanded back, sealed and repainted along with her fold down step. Her roof was a disaster.  Over the last 2 years being in the open and in full sun for most of the day some areas had peeled away exposing patches of the bare aluminium. Two coats of undercoat and 2 coats of gloss later she was gleaming white again.

Last on the to do list was attaching some very fancy window cling that I found advertised in a bargain brochure from my letter box. I thought it would fit perfectly as a privacy screen for Annies smaller front and kitchen windows.

 

New flooring and a fancy shelf :)

COVID 19 - Out of Isolation

After nearly 3 months in lock down the word was out that NSW campgrounds and caravan parks would reopen the 1st June.

Having been stood down from my full time job in late March I was itching to get out of the house so upon hearing the news I booked Annie, Claire and I in for 2 weeks R & R at our favourite local campground Bunyips.

My job also went back ever so casually on the 1st June at 2 days a week so I left Annie at the campground whilst I went to work and returned to the campsite on completion of my assigned duties.

 

Since my last visit to Bunyips, prior to lockdown in March when I spent 6 days with Eugenie the Royal, the property has become home to 3 horses. I'm not a real fan of horses since being munched on by a particuarly stubborn fellow on a horse riding trail ride when I was 17. They have had horses before at this property when we have been there and they took a liking to the fake flowers I had on a table outside. I shooed them away and that was about the extent of my contact with them. 

In contrast fast forward 2 years and these three showed great interest in Claire and I and even more interest in Annie and what lay inside and outside. They were regular visitors to my door especially Reggae a rather handsome fellow with a beautiful nature. I never thought I'd be up close and personal with a horse . . . . EVER. 

Reggae with matching jacket :)

I mean it . . . don't eat the flowers !

Tango - having a laugh

The ever so shy Alaska

With COVID19 doing its best to cancel gatherings of all kind and creation for the forseeable future, the chances of attending any Vintage Caravan Gatherings this year are next to none. I took the opportunity during this time away to play dressups. Annie you are a sweet sweet girl.

The outdoor table and her new matching to the awning skirt.

The outdoor table - indoors.

Kitchen window cling.

Mirrored reflections

The rescued radio on it's own little shelf.

Afternoon winter sun :)

Blue flamingoes rule !

So pretty at night.

Those windows at night. Love that window cling.